The roots of Saint Joseph Roman Catholic Church go back to 1765 when German immigrants settled in this area and were ministered to by Fr. Ferdinand Farmer [Steinmeier], a Jesuit missionary from St. Joseph Church in Philadelphia. Since that time there has been unbroken sacramental activity in this parish, the oldest in the state.
The parish community has been under the pastoral care of the Jesuits, Redemptorists, Franciscans and since 2003, diocesan priests. Descendants of colonial families are still present here and serve as an unbroken line of fidelity to our Catholic faith in the Macopin Section of West Milford Township.
Celebration of Our Jubilee Year
We are all honored to be an integral part, by our own steadfast fidelity, of bringing St. Joseph Parish to this milestone - this Jubilee Year. The word Jubilee in the Hebrew Christian context includes the sounding of the ram’s horn in order to call attention of all the faithful to listen to a joyful proclamation.
Look and admire, study and learn, hear in it your own call to participate in the 250th Year of Faith of St. Joseph Parish so that we become, as it were, living history. We want all to hear shouts of joy and praise and thanksgiving; we want all to know why we are rejoicing!